Fibrosis or capsular contracture of the silicone implant exists in every surgery, because it is a natural wound healing process .
Although breast implants do not expire , they have limited life span.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons state implants should be removed or exchanged every 10 to 15 years.
One of the most common reasons that breast implants may need to be removed or replaced is because scar tissue can harden around the implants. It can cause pain and discomfort, and also change the implants’ appearance. This is known as capsular contracture.
Implants should be removed when :
- leaking of the breast implant
- buildup of calcium deposits around the implant
- autoimmune response to the implant
- necrosis or tissue death around the implant
- pain related to the implants
- shifting or movement of one or both implants.
Consult your breast surgeons.